Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:08:35 +0100 (CET)

The Thursday 2007-03-01 at 12:33 +0100, Klaus Singvogel wrote:

> But if not, then we might replace the hal backend by _any_ backend,
> and no need to use no longer developed tools (hal backend) is needed.
> Instead we can use our own mechanism here, even YaST, as soon as YaST
> supports installation of printers without any need of user feedback
> (full automatism).

I would object to something configuring printers without my knowledge,
automatically.

One of the good points of linux is that it is stable, in the sense that
once we configure something it stays put and we don't have to touch it
ever again.

Too many automatisms and that will break.

At least, let yast ask whether we want automatic configuration of printers
or not.

> > If we can get to zeroconfig printing we could optionally just remove a
> > printer from cups when its unplugged. A little more unclear how useful
> > it would be.
>
> I want to point out the "optionally" here.
>
> CUPS offers the possibility of spooling print jobs, when the
> communication to a printer fails (or the admin wishes so). Sure,
> Enterprise Servers admins are more interested in this spooling feature
> than home users. So we should offer a configuration for both kinds of
> customers. I'm thinking of storing this global configuration data
> somewhere below /etc/sysconfig.

As a home user, I'm very happy with cups spooling while the printer is
disconnected. I print, I notice that it is not actually printing, then I
look at it and power it on, without having to repeat the print job, and no
pesky pop-ups.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.