Re: [opensuse-factory] Package management architecture
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 18:10:12 +0100
Torsdag 02 november 2006 17:31 skrev Klaus Kaempf:
> > No, on 10.2b1 you would have to add zmd+helpers and rug, and on GNOME
> > also an updater applet using Zmd. At least until the user manually cleans
> > it up. On 10.2b1 the package management stack is even more complex than
> > on 10.1, with zypper and opensuse-updater added and nothing cleaned up.
>
> Well, we cleaned up the stack dependencies. You can deselect the ZENworks
> pattern without loosing functionality (update applet and command line
> tool). The resulting package management stack should match your picture.

Yes, and for that I'm personally very thankful, and I can't wait to use it on
a daily basis. Only I had hopes that it would be the default for openSUSE if
not now, then for 10.3 at least, but we'll wait and see what happens, maybe
the stack can be made even nicer.

If zypper is built for 10.1 like Mvidner mentioned on bugzilla I'll surely be
happy to use it and test it here too. If a package is made available please
make sure to announce it. We can't appreciate all the cool stuff that you do
for us if we don't know about it.

In my capacity of translator I just noticed that a pattern has been made
for "lightweight package management", very nice. I wonder however if this
means changes wrt. zypper and opensuse-updater installed by default on KDE.

Martin