Re: [opensuse-factory] libstdc++.la library
  • From: Andreas Hanke <andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 19:23:36 +0100
Pascal Bleser schrieb:
>> Only those from the PackMan repo and other non-SUSE repos have
>> references to libstdc++.la, and only if they are build for distros <
>> 10.2. Once there is a 10.2 PackMan repo with packages specifically built
>> for 10.2, you don't need to worry any more.
>
> What makes you think that ?

I'm convinced that you're not re-using old binary packages, but
rebuilding everything from scratch. That makes me think that.

> AFAIK no one at Packman (nor do I with my packages) removes the .la
> files from the -devel packages, not even if they are for >= 10.2.

You don't need to remove anything. Rebuilding everything is sufficient.

I have just verified that rebuilding mpeg4ip on a clean 10.2 system with
no old binary packages on it results in a libmp4v2.la that has no
references to /usr/lib/libstdc++.la in it. Nothing had to be removed
manually in order to achieve that.

libtool asks for libstdc++.la only if one of the other .la files in the
chain references it, and other .la files only reference it if
libstdc++.la existed when the package was built.

The conclusion is that cleanly rebuilding everything solves the problem.
Given that libstdc++.la has been removed months ago and that there are
4000 source packages in the distribution which are all still building,
and given that re-using old binary packages is broken anyway, I don't
think that this breaks builds which wouldn't have been broken anyway
until a build log shows it.

> If it is, it should be discussed with those package maintainers at
> Packman.

I don't know what needs to be discussed here, re-using old binary
packages is clearly broken, cannot work for all kinds of other reasons
besides this one and we don't know if it has been discussed even with
the package maintainers at SUSE. I doubt it, but don't know it.

A package maintainer shouldn't even notice the absense of libstdc++.la.

If I read and understand correctly what anyone can read on
[opensuse-bugs] and [opensuse-commit], the usual practice is that a
package maintainer changes whatever he likes and the others follow it by
fixing their failed builds, if any. Maybe these discussions behind
closed doors where the community is locked out don't exist at all.

Andreas