Re: [opensuse-factory] Package management architecture
  • From: William Gallafent <william@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:14:31 +0000
On Tuesday 31 October 2006 15:17, Martin Schlander wrote:
> Presently discussion is on-going in bugzilla about the
> architecture of package management, mostly wrt. 10.2. I think
> that we should clarify longer term goals. Which imho must be
> to not have zmd installed by default on openSUSE, as it
> causes problems and unnecessary complexity without adding
> functionality that the openSUSE users need. I'm curious if
> official people agree with this?

I'm not officially a person ;) but the sooner ZMD et al
disappear from my systems the better. At the moment,
zen-updater has lost my update sources and packman, so it
doesn't go orange when updates are available. I didn't notice
when this happened. I've given up caring, and I now no longer
run it, ever! The update and packman repositories still show up
fine (and work fine) in YaST and YOU, so I just try to remember
to run YOU once every week or so to collect and install
updates. Nice to have delta-rpms back :)

I have the 10.2 Beta1 DVD burned and ready to install
experimentally, which I hope to get round to tomorrow. I'll be
interested to see how the opensuse-updater behaves. Well, I
hope (could hardly be worse than zen-updater).

> With zypper (cli) and opensuse-updater (updater applet) it is
> within grasp to not have zmd+friends on KDE installations.

That would indeed be excellent news.

--
Bill Gallafent.