Re: [opensuse-factory] Installation without CD possible for 10.2Beta1 ?
  • From: Richard <osl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:16:24 +0000
> I have never successfully mounted an ISO file using this method. But in
> 10.1 and before it was possible to unpack the ISO file for instance to
> "/SUSECD1/SUSE-CD1/" and to choose this as the directory.
>
> Unfortunately in this step there it's not possible to make screen shots
> or to see log files.
>
> Has anyone successful tested the installation method from
> http://en.opensuse.org/Installation_without_CD together with
> openSuSE-10.2Beta1 ?

I've used both methods (raw ISO and loop mount) for a while now, very
successfully. I find the best scheme is to use the DVD ISO and loop
mount it (-o loop, ro) on another machine running an FTP server (I use
vsftp).

BTW: You may find that you run out of loop devices (SuSE only sets up 8
I think) but this can be increased as a boot option on the server (I
know of no way of doing so on a running machine though). Mine's set to 64...

Then generate a bootable CD or USB stick with a recent 'mini' ISO image
(it seems pretty tolerant of version mismatches), boot same and then use
F3 and F4 in the start screen to select FTP. Enter the server's IP
address and the directory name (i.e. the mount point) and you're off!

The above is usually enough - used quite a few times now - but 10.2 beta
1 crashes back to the curses menus just after I select 'new
installation'. Still trying to find out why before posting on that topic!

Hope this helps

Regards, Richard.