Re: [opensuse-factory] Notes on successful GUI Smart from alpha 4 to factory (beta1)
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:16:12 -0500
On 06/10/30 10:46 (GMT-0200) Mauricio Teixeira (netmask) apparently typed:

> Em Sex, 2006-10-27 Ã s 00:26 -0400, Felix Miata escreveu:

>> minute wait for the actual upgrade installation process to begin while it
>> waited for that one package to finish.

> That's the way Smart is supposed to run: it only commits when the
> complete set of packages for the requested transaction are available.

I had no doubt of that. My point was that if Smart was smart if would know
or find out which files it wants are the largest and start download of
those early, so that those bringing up the tail of the download process
were average size or smaller. That would minimize the delay from
connecting to a slow server that permits higher net throughput when
several files are downloading at once. I had this happen before on Ubuntu,
where OpenOffice.org was started late and was last to finish by a
considerable margin.
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped." Psalm 28:7 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409