[opensuse-factory] Installation without CD possible for 10.2Beta1 ?
  • From: Bjoern Voigt <bjoern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:17:02 +0100
I tried to install openSuSE 10.2Beta1 according to

http://en.opensuse.org/Installation_without_CD

I downloaded the CD iso files and copied them to a separate partition. Unfortunately the last step (the installation itself) does not work for me. From the above wiki site:

* The first message will be /Make sure that CD number 1 is in your
computer. Press /OK/./
* You then get notified that it could not find the CD and it will
start the Manual Setup. Press /OK/.
* You need to select the Language. Press /OK/.
* Choose the keyboard map. Press /OK/.
* You get the main menu. Select /Start installation or System/ which
is the default and press /OK/.
* You get /Start installation or Update/ and must choose either
network (via FTP) or Hard Disc (local drive)
o Via Network. [...]
o Hard Disk. You will be asked to choose the partition. Next
choose the directory.
+ For ISO files you will need to type the directory and
*complete filename of the first ISO file*.
+ /Example/ -- Partition: */sda1* (USB hard drive)
Directory: */SUSECDs/SUSE-Linux-10.1-GM-i386-CD1.iso

-> Error: no installation root system found (or a
similar message)*

I have never successfully mounted an ISO file using this method. But in 10.1 and before it was possible to unpack the ISO file for instance to "/SUSECD1/SUSE-CD1/" and to choose this as the directory.

Unfortunately in this step there it's not possible to make screen shots or to see log files.

Has anyone successful tested the installation method from http://en.opensuse.org/Installation_without_CD together with openSuSE-10.2Beta1 ?

Björn