Re: [opensuse-factory] zen bug?
  • From: Andreas Hanke <andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:47:52 +0200
Dominique Leuenberger schrieb:
> Calling a program, that gives a stack trace on an invalid Database,
> 'Works For Me' is a bit brave behaviour.
> In no way, a program is allowed to crash out if a corrupt database is found.
>
> At LEAST an exact explanation to the user how to solve it (maybe what
> you just gave on top) HAS to be given or, if the actions are that
> obvious always the same, they have to be performed if the system does
> not get in danger by it.

That's exactly what rug does...

The issue is really specific to zen-updater. I could never make rug
crash, not even by copying MP3 audio files on top of
/var/lib/zmd/zmd.db. It just says "Corrupted database", and that's what
an application should do in such a situation.

By the way, you don't need to do

rm -f /var/lib/zmd/zmd.db

any more in Factory because zmd is already robustified, which is very
cool. Restarting zmd is sufficient, it recognizes the corrupted database
as such on startup and rebuilds it automatically.

So, zmd and rug are fine, just zen-updater is not. Unfortunately,
zen-updater is exactly what people see most of the time and what they
identify as "ZEN". Selling Zenworks as a good thing is really difficult
this way...

Andreas