Re: [opensuse-factory] Factory source for Internet installation
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:05:41 -0700
Rajko,

On Monday 16 October 2006 22:11, Rajko M wrote:
> On Monday 16 October 2006 20:11, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Felix,
> >
> > On Monday 16 October 2006 17:13, Felix Miata wrote:
> > >
> > > Note that you need not download even the mini iso if your
> > > installation target already has a working grub. All you need is
> > > the linux and initrd from the appropriate boot/*/loader directory
> > > placed where a grub stanza can find it.
> >
> > This is good to know, but lacks sufficient detail to be put to use.
> > Could you either explain how to create or modify this "stanza" or
> > point us to the relevant on-line documentation?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Is this what you meant:
> http://en.opensuse.org/Installation_without_CD
>
> title
> #Installing_from_data_saved_on_your_local_machine

That and #Grub, I guess.

But I think I'm still missing something, because I understand "Network
Install" to mean that I don't need to first download anything (not any
packages, anyway), but rather that the installer will access the
network directly to retrieve packages.

But I suppose it's moot for me at this point, since I have a functioning
10.2a5 (w/ some subsequent updates) already in place and YaST is
working well, though some of the servers are clearly overtaxed (I'm
making do with mirrors.kernel.org for the time being, even though it's
been reported that it's tardy in syncing new releases).

Randall Schulz