Re: [opensuse-factory] YAST new icons
  • From: Dan Winship <danw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:13:13 -0400
Andreas Hanke wrote:
> No, this is not sarcasm, this is just a problem description. The
> previous icon theme has been designed by an artist who is no longer
> designing YaST icons (that's what I understand, at least). Besides all
> "ugly and dull" categorizations, criticism needs to be constructive as
> well, and this is a problem because someone has to find and pay an
> artist who is able to create icons that match the previous theme in the
> first place.
>
> The other solution is working together with the artist who designed the
> new theme in order to make the new theme prettier and more acceptable
> for as many users as possible.

People might be interested in this link from the GNOME Summit last weekend:

http://live.gnome.org/AwesomeArtShit#head-662dcce78742355371d25d70c019296695e1d9b9
(if that fragment id breaks, search for "svg crack" on the page).

Some of the artists were playing around with the idea of using CSS
stylesheets to generate multiple different themes (eg, tango, bluecurve,
crystal, high-contrast-accessible, etc) from the same base SVG drawings.
I'm not sure if anyone is actively working on now though.

But this might also be a simple way for someone with a little graphics
clue to generate a set of more-KDE-looking icons from the existing Tango
ones.

-- Dan