Re: [opensuse-factory] Topics for tomorrow's dist meeting
  • From: Silviu Marin-Caea <silviu_marin-caea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:38:09 +0300
On Thursday 12 October 2006 13:27, Heiko Helmle wrote:
> Silviu Marin-Caea schrieb:
> > On Wednesday 11 October 2006 19:13, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> >> We have so far two compiler optimization topics:
> >>
> >> * Building for i686 in the future (Bug 186074)
> >
> > Hell, yeah!!
> >
> > Who's installing SUSE on Pentium I nowadays? I have a Pentium II CPU to
> > donate to one such individual in the totally unlikely case he exists. :-)
>
> Hm... people may want to install SUSE on VIA C3 machines...

From the bug comments:

====
No, seriously now, found this on
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Eden_C3.2FEzra_.28Via_EPIA.29
"More recent versions of the C3 do support the cmov instruction and hence
-march=i686"

But I assume that SuSE wants to maintain compatibility even with those guys
who own these "older" versions too...
====

The people with older C3 versions could just run SUSE 10.1 on them, or run
SLED10 that's supported for 7 years. Problem solved.