Re: [opensuse-factory] Alpha 5 installation and setup issues
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 07:15:33 +0200
Kenneth Schneider <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 19:40 +0200, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:
>> I just did a new attempt with 10.2 alpha 5 x86_64 on a Dell Precision
>> 490 Xeon workstation. Happily the alpha4 USB mouse problem was fixed and
>> the Gnome dekstop was possible to start testing. But I encountered
>> several issues during the installation or with the setup after login, as
>> noted below.
>>

> My install was on an older Compaq laptop using ftp as the install method
> (downloaded the dvd iso and shared via ftp). On reboot X would not start
> and system went into text mode for second part of install. Culprit: the
> xorg-x11-libXext rpm was not installed with the system.
>
> The Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA card is being configured as a network card
> *_not_* a wireless card therefore you cannot configure the wireless
> settings since you cannot change the card type to wireless in YaST.

Please file this as bug.

> Waiting for the screen saver to kick in to see if the system still locks
> up using the bcm43xx driver. This is a kernel issue not opensuse. Still
> need to download the firmware from Ubuntu in order to use the card.

Could you file a bug here as well so that we figure this out? Or does
one exist already and no action is taken? In that case tell me,
please...

> The package selection screen during initial setup shows up as an 800X600
> window that cannot be maximized when using a larger resolution during
> initial setup.

We go back to the old way.

> Bottom line: keep up the good work it keeps getting better with each
> release.

But there's still some way to go ;-)

Thanks,
Andreas
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 N├╝rnberg, Germany