Re: [opensuse-factory] unable to configure X
  • From: "Terje J. Hanssen" <nteknikk@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:02:09 +0200
Glenn Holmer skrev:
With 10.2 alpha 5, I'm completely unable to configure X. When sax
starts up, I get "out of range" error on the monitor and have to
ctrl-alt-bksp. sax2 -l from the command line is unusable because not
enough of the screen shows to be able to make selections. I was
eventually able to get sax to run by "sax2 -V 0:1280x1024@60", but
still couldn't come up with a combination that would produce any output
when the test runs, even by specifying the frequencies from the
monitor's spec sheet.

This is with ATI RV250 card and Benq FP731 LDC monitor (which was
auto-detected). Shall I file a bug, or is it a known issue?

I've always had the monitor "Out of Range" problem with my ATI Rage 128. My LCD manages 1280x1024@75Hz, but already at the first installation boot screen, it looks like 85Hz is used (hidden) for the default 1280x1024 resolution. If I go further with this, soon after "Out of range" will blank out the monitor and block further installation. When I previous filed a bug about this, the reply was that there was nothing to do with this problem. What I therefore always have to do, is to select a lower resolution 1024x768 (with the F3 key I think) during the first installation part. Later during the configuration summary or after login I can use SaX2 and select the optimal 1280x1024@75Hz.

Don't know if this is of help in your case. I haven't reached to try 10.2 alpha5 yet.

Terje J. Hanssen