Re: [opensuse-factory] DVD iso?
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 21:43:39 +0200
On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 05:56:03PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Matthias Koenig <mkoenig@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Has support for jigdo already been discussed?
> > That way users could easily build their own DVD isos, without us having
> > to worry about serving big files.
> > I noticed, there has been jigdo support for SL-10.0-OSS. Is there a reason
> > that it is not available for the other distributions?
>
> The jigdo files seems not to have been used at all, there was no real
> interest in them once they were available,

Sorry, but this is crap: You always neglected alternative download solutions
like Bittorrent or Jigdo by providing that stuff that late that most people
have already started to fetch the files from the first mirror they appeared on
and thus killing this one almost completely.

I suggested multiple times to open Bittorrent already when the mirror servers
are preloaded to have a strong set of seeders availlable when the announcement
was done. When I did so I was always told that this is possible in principle
but it just never happened.

The problem with Jigdo was and is that you are shipping multiple versions of
the noarch and src packages. I suggested to use all those packages from one
architecture for all of them. I was told that this could be changed that way
in principle but it never happened.

So in my opinion the fact that nobody is using this is a result of how they
are offered and all of this stuff seems to be something like a self-fulfilling
prophecy.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele