Re: [opensuse-factory] feasibility of porting opensuse to SPARC
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 18:06:50 +0200
Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I would hope that the real core basis (gcc, glib, binutils, kernel) were
> already sorted out for the old SuSE-sparc-port (rel 7.0...7.3)
> But at that time, not everything was "open" afair.

Those glibc, gcc, binutils and kernel versions are old. For example
you do not want gcc 2.95 but gcc 4.1 nowadays. So much has changed
that it's basically starting from scratch.

> If i'm not mistaken, "icecream" was able to cross-compile (for sparc,
> HP-PA etc). Is there any docu, HOW2 for that?

Yes, icecream can do this. I don't know about docu for this.

> It might speed-up the work that needs to be done...

Definitely.

> If there is a minimal installation, that can perform "an install or
> upgrade" from externally build packages, it would be easily for the
> community to add the rest.

Richard Günther is playing with this, he started a project on the
build service for it,

Andreas
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany