Re: [opensuse-factory] Packages in default installation
  • From: "Terje J. Hanssen" <nteknikk@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 03:51:13 +0200
Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> "Terje J. Hanssen" <nteknikk@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't i.e also "iscan" free non-OSS that should be
>> located on that iso part(s)?
>
> Yes, iscan is on the non-OSS part for some time. Isn't it?

I think I've found the explanation that clarify this possible confusion.
There exist now two versions:

* iscan- (propriarity binary only)
* iscan-free (OSS)

iscan-1.18.0.1-14.i586.rpm which I've used on Suse 10.1 and before, has
been available among others on the DVD iso and for download at
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/10.1/inst-source-extra/suse/i586
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/10.1/SUSE-Linux10.1-GM-Extra/suse/i586

The iscan GUI front-end has not had a menu entry among the scanner
programs after installation, AFAI've seen. I don't know if "iscan"
propriarty still will be supplied as a extra non-OSS application for
scanner models that iscan-free doesn't support.

iscan-free-2.2.0.1-3.i586.rpm
available on the SL-OSS-factory, doesn't contain any frontend, just the
free epkowa driver for SANE (backend) and lacks support for some Epson
scanners. However it can be run from standard frontends like Xsane.

I have now removed iscan, installed and tested iscan-free on Suse 10.1.
iscan-free looks to work well using Xsane for my scanner model, Epson
Perfection 1640SU with ADF. This ADF has not worked with Sane alone
previously, therefore I have used iscan, which now obviously can be
replaced with iscan-free for my scanner model.

Terje J. Hanssen