Re: [opensuse-factory] Update stack test build
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:59:25 +0200
Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Morning folks,
>
> Would this list be the best place to post feedback regarding the test build of
> the update stack packages you posted yesterday Andreas? Or is it better moved
> to bugzilla...? If so I can move all this to bugzilla with logs etc.

Please move it to bugzilla as commented below.

> Here are my observations so far anyway.
>
> 1.
> The 10.1 release update stack successfully installed the test builds after I
> added the URL as a YUM service via zen-updater. However the whole upgrade
> took an extremely long time ( 15 minutes approx ). I was unable to determine
> why it was taking so long, i dont *think* it was the downloading...

It was quite fast for me, if you know why it's slow, it's worth a
report otherwise I guess we cannot do much.

> 2.
> Adding services via rug is just fine, and as per the 10.1 release builds ZYPP
> services are synced with YaST, YUM services are not. Adding services via
> zen-updater, same as rug, it works and the synching is the same.

Please report a bug with yum - it might even be a design decision
right now.

> 2. Adding a larger service such as main online installation from
> mirror( inst-sources ) is much smoother. The service itself was added to the
> list in yast inst_sources almost instantaneously and unlilke the 10.1 release
> the catalog was not immediately downloaded but was only fetched when the
> finish button was pressed. At a rough guess I would say the whole process of
> adding the main installation source is 50% quicker now.

Good.

> 3.
> ZMD scheduling seems to be a bit broken now. It appears that the service
> refresh happens at the same time as the hourly maintenance, even though it is
> scheduled for the next day. Once the full service refresh and maintenance has
> run ( hourly by default it seems ) the schedule is reset with an updated time
> for the service refresh 24 hours later and 1 hour later for the maintenance.
> Of course the service refresh still happens one hour later and another new
> time i scheduled for it.
>
> This has the side effect of a full service refresh will run if my system is
> booted outside of the hourly maintenance window, parse-metadata and
> update-status hogging 100% CPU for a few minutes on boot. If i reboot my
> system inside the hourly maintenance window this does not happen.

Please file a bug against the component "ZENworks",

Thanks,
Andreas
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 N├╝rnberg, Germany