Re: [opensuse-factory] Bug 177758
  • From: Vahis <waxborg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 13:38:31 +0300
Graham Anderson wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 May 2006 13:47, Martin Schlander wrote:
>
>> * YaST gives no information when it's downloading or refreshing repodata
>> making inexperienced users think it's frozen. For inspiration on how to
>> handle this I would look at the smart -gui which tells you what's
>> downloaded, how much, from where, at what speed etc.
>>

> Agreed. This is a huge show stopper for the new SUSE users that visit the IRC
> channels wonidering what is going on. At a rough estimate I'd say say that
> 95% of new users ( and there are many of them on a daily basis visit IRC and
> ask about this ) assume YAST has frozen/crashed on them when they try to add
> *any* online software repo, far less the main inst-sources. This is clearly
> unacceptable.
>
> What is even more annoying is that this has been a problem with yast
> inst_source module for a while. I cant remember if it ever had a progress
> indicator. I've seen this requested many times on IRC and the mailing lists
> but im not sure if anyone has made a feature request in bugzilla.
>
> FYI, I use rug for my software management, i add YUM sources because the
> progress indicator for rug works if you add YUM sources. Of course there are
> a couple of caveats, YUM sources added with rug do not synch with YaST. ZYPP
> sources do synch with yast but the rug progress indicator is broken for them.

After some struggling with YaST as I used it the way I'm used to I made
a fresh install and used rug all the way. That seemed to work well, I
wrote some notes on my site.
There's been quite a lot of traffic to that page since, so we'll see
what people think.

It's the first link in my sig :)

Vahis
--