regedit for linux?
  • From: Frank-Michael Fischer <fmfischer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:13:41 +0200
Maybe someone can help me out of some of my bad feelings I am having
around putting config data into XML files. One of the striking
advantages (and used in day-to-day work almost daily) of linux versus
windows was the use of plain text files for basically anything
concerning system or application configuration. Putting more and more
config data into XML files makes me worry if we are not going the
"registry way" where reading, interpreting and changing config data
becomes more and more a programmers job. Not that I hate the idea to
create more and more higher qualified jobs around linux and the creation
of the LCE (Linux Certified Engineer) position for simple system
administration tasks. It might just raise the hurdle to switch to linux
if the thing gets as confusing in administration as windows.

Yes, XML is a "open" standard, compared to Windows registry. But in real
life tasks it does not matter.

FMF