Re: [opensuse-factory] Bug 177758
  • From: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 09:08:17 +0200
On 23 May 2006 at 18:39, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

[...]
> > Would be interesting to do some profiling on parse-metadata.
> > Anything available for Mono ?
>
> parse-metadata is in C++.
[...]

Hi,

some time ago I was reflecting on how to boost performance on a Pentium Pro 200
MHz with 128MB RAM. I concluded that today's programming language and -style
suffers from needless copying of data (not to talk about needless calling of
code), making the relatively fast CPU cache quite useless. As a proof on concept I
wrote a sample program that does very aggressive data sharing (kind of "copy on
write"). The performance is really great (I did unpack MIME messages): It's about
a factor of 1000 faster than PINE. However: Data inter-dependencies are terrible,
and it's a maintenance pain.

Performance sample (on a P4 2.8GHz meanwhile): base64-decoding 9219kB (includes
reading the source (most likely cached, however) and writing the output): 0.161s
(elapsed! time (wall time))

Now for XML... ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich