Re: [opensuse-factory] Bug 177758
  • From: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 17:42:30 +0200
On 23 May 2006 at 13:30, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Frank-Michael Fischer <fmfischer@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > My first "rug sl" command took about 8 mins to complete. The next one
> > was lightening fast.
>
> Yes, it needs to parse all the stuff and then the daemon has
> everything loaded.

Into RAM? If so, wouldn't it preferrable to use some light-weight & fast database
library like Sleepycat (now: Oracle) to store meta-data instead of XML (on disk)?
That way, the data structure would be ready almost immediately. I could imagine
either shipping the metadata database as CD image, or as an "importable" database
dump.
I can imagine (juast a wild guess) that even BerkeleyDB mounted over NFS isn't
much slower than XML-parsing the same data after downloading them. (If you are
asking about incremental updates)

> 8 minutes is still to long and therefore I would like to see which
> repositories you use (output of "rug sl") to get a feeling whether
> there's a reason for it. It needs roughly two minutes on my system,

How much virtual memory does it need then? >512MB?

Regards,
Ulrich