Re: [opensuse-factory] Bug 177758
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:34:43 +0200
Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Could someone post a few details about what libzypp actually does and
> how it interacts with ZMD ?
> Is it an abstraction and/or API to ZMD and rug ?

rug and zen-updater talk with zmd. zmd is a daemon running. zmd
talks with the libzypp-zmd-backend to libzypp.

> Is libzypp the one capable of handling yast2/ZMD repos and RPM-MD ? Or
> is it ZMD/rug ?

It's libzypp as called/linked by zmd/yast2.

> When using RPM-MD repos in yast2, does it still go through ZMD ?

No, yast2 links against libzypp and only calls zmd in this case:
* Adding/removing installation sources (so that the sources are in
sync, unfortunatetly both have their own source handling)

> [...]
>> what I try to make you understant is that if _you_ have _several_ non
>> working install, this may be because you always make a kind of install
>> that gives the problem.
>
> That ridiculous. What would some "kind of install" have to do with ZMD
> working properly or not on 3 different boxes and several others he did
> from scratch.
> And he's not alone with this issue, it's being reported often on IRC.
>
> On IRC we currently recommend using smart, y2pmsh or rug and
> disable+remove ZMD packages.
>
>> this don't mean you do anything wrong, only something that not any
>> people do. identifying this could be of great help like the rug test you
>> where asked to do.
>
> Well, I strongly presume those problems are related to plain ZMD
> and/or libzypp bugs, not particularly to his setup.
> Those problems are encountered far too often to just be related to
> some specifics of his installation or hardware.
>
>> and all this helps fixing the bug.
>> and by the way the starting of the 10.1 is specially fast on my two
>> years old machine... and I just discovered beagle was running.. I even
>> don't know what it is :-)
> [...]
>> to follow this mail, I tryed beagle. clic on the icon, ask for "yast" in
>> the search box. Beagle said the daemon was not started, I clic to start
>> and answers come is nearly no time.
>
> Yes, the Beagle frontends work well, no problem with that. But the
> Beagle daemon is also often a resource hog that causes people on IRC
> to complain about 10.1 being so slow.
> I suppose there's not all that much to be done about the Beagle
> daemon, it's kind of inherent to what it does (it has to do a lot of
> I/O and probably actually needs a lot of memory) - document indexers
> usually do that, I don't think there's a silver bullet to solve it.
>
> Nevertheless, Beagle is not a critical component to the system. If
> it's a resource hog on your system, then just turn it off, SUSE Linux
> 10.1 will remain an excellent distribution to work with.
> The same cannot be said of the package management subsystem. The
> latter must work reliably, always, so we really have to identify and
> fix bugs there (and not dismiss them).

And we're fixing them if we find ways to reproduce them,

Andreas
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 N├╝rnberg, Germany