TeX in OpenSUSE / teTeX no next release
  • From: Tobias Burnus <burnus@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 15:29:14 +0200
Hello,

as Thomas Esser announced
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.tetex.general/1226), there will
be no new versions of teTeX. (And depending on the things you are doing
with TeX, teTeX 3.0 is already pretty old; especially for ConTeXt users.)

> Basically, teTeX consists of a source tree and a texmf tree with fonts,
> macros, configuration, etc.
>
> The source tree of teTeX-3.0 is included 100% in TeX Live
> (http://www.tug.org/texlive/) which is released once per year.

This would be good reason to use the source tree of TeX Live in OpenSUSE.

> The texmf tree of teTeX is a monolitic distribution of individual CTAN
> packages.

This seems to be the harder part as to my knowledge the texmf part of
TeX Live is rather big.

For Debian there exists a project to create TeX Live DEBs
(http://www.tug.org/texlive/debian.html),
though they seem to have split TeX Live into too many .debs.

Tobias