Why I hate package manager in 10.1 3 hours 30 minutes to check dependentcies.
  • From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 13:54:42 -0600

I would like to report why I object to 10.1 package manager. I just
finished with the first CD (CD1). I tried to upgrade a production 10.0
server. I choose the upgrade option. It complained about not being able
to reslove them and had to have manual intervention. It would bring up
conflicts one at a time with 30 seconds to 3.5 minute wait between them.
It took over 3 hours and 30 minutes just to review the conflicts. It then
took an other hour after I tried to re-add back selections that were
removed. Most of the time I had to click unlock and check again.

This makes the upgrade totally not an option. I will stay with 10.0 on
the other 30 systems I have control over. I do not have the time to try
and do this for each and every system. The old package manager I could be
done fixing the conflicts in 10-30 minutes depending on the system. This
system was one I thought would be the easiest to upgrade. I thought I had
better warn others.

- --
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>

< Previous Next >