Re: [opensuse-factory] Learning Perl (Was: Re: [opensuse-factory] tagmedia question)
On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 02:32:34PM +0200, Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:
> > I know it has a lot more power. It is just that I can't do it. I am not
> > even good at Bash. :-)
>
> perl comes with an extensive amount of documentation. Try 'man perl' for an
> overview. And it is a language that is easy to get started with.

I tried it and I just can't get the hang of it. 'man perl' confuses me
more then that it helps me.

It is me that can not do it. Some people are good at perl, I am good at
thinking up solutions for people who know even less about SUSE or Linux
then I do.

I am also a person who just has to type in and see what happens, instead
of reading and realy learning it. I never could learn from a book and I
doubt that will change. So what I mostly do is social engineer my code
together. :-)

e.g. you see a HOWTO like
http://en.opensuse.org/Making_a_DVD_from_CDs#Manually_build_a_DVD_from_the_CD-Set
and that you put in a bash script.

Then I started to put in a "for" for the booting and copying and started to
make it more generic. A bit later added some features.

And all this thanks to the many people contributing and sending me
correcting code. Thanks.

houghi