Re: [opensuse-edu] YaST Education Module
  • From: Jeff Shantz <jeff.shantz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 18:32:16 -0400
Hi James,

Sorry for the delay in my response. I've been incommunicado for a
number of days.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM, James Tremblay aka SLEducator
<fxrsliberty@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
when a user decides to use the "add on " feature the YaST module should
provide four basic patterns

Is the intent here that these patterns should be fixed, or do we want
to add the ability to create custom patterns? My thought is that a
one-size-fits-all solution might be limiting in many instances. For
instance, suppose the pre-K to grade 6 pattern firewalls all chat
applications. A grade 6 class might be undertaking a "penpal"
correspondence project in which they communicate with students from
other countries around the world, so we might want to be able to
create a custom pattern for these students to allow them to use chat
programs, without opening up these programs to all users in the pre-K
to grade 6 group.

4) server - based on the openschoolserver from Extis
http://www.openschoolserver.net/ , including choices for an SIS (student
information system) Class or openSIS, School administrative software like

This is interesting. I haven't seen openschoolserver or openSIS
before, but I see from your profile that were/are involved in openSIS
development. Perhaps we could chat more about how it could be
integrated into the education module once I've had a chance to explore
openSIS a bit. From my limited knowledge of openSIS, I am assuming
you just envision that when the user selects "Server" in the education
module, it simply initiates the installation of the Base Application
edition of openSIS, and then informs the user of the URL to which they
can browse in order to continue configuration within openSIS. Does
this sound reasonable, or do you envision the module going more deeply
into openSIS configuration?

Thanks for your comments.

Jeff