Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Linux in HE-FE
  • From: Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 10:49:59 +0000 (UTC)

--- Ian Lynch <ian.lynch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Its worth bearing in mind that we have direct contact with BECTA and
> the
> DfES through SchoolforgeUK and Open Source Consortium. While this is
> so
> far more focussed on schools there is no real reason why it should
> not
> apply to FE and HE. In terms of migration strategies etc Open Source

Indeed. Note though that it's not so much of a migration, as it is
integration. I don't think academia is ready for ubiquitous linux
support. :)

> Consortium is probably better placed than BCS in giving advice on use
> of
> FLOSS in existing environments. Indeed many members of OSC are also
> BCS
> members.

I realise that, but from what I can gather, most of the course material
taught here is ratified (mangled, whatever you want to call it :P) by
the BCS (they certainly have a large finger in this rather mouldy pie).
There's a meeting towards the end of this month (via the BCS -- it's
open to non-members too) about the use of Linux alongside Windows.

> Since I'm the official point of conatct between BECTA and the Open
> Source community, I'm quite willing to talk to any LEA that requires
> some official basis for considering these issues.

I had long since mentioned your name (see, I do my homework :)). I
doubt anything will ever be sent your way, alas. Thanks though. I'll
keep marching on, to see where this actually leads.

-- Thomas Adam

List Navigation