RE: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Network migration starting with squid.. help
  • From: Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:50:57 +0000 (UTC)

--- Alan Loughlin <loughlina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> >>My main question is what Linux distro shall I go
> for and what caching and
> filtering
> >>solution will do what isa and surfcontrol do?
>
> This was my main question, im asking for distro
> opinions based on everyone's
> personal experience, I don't know what distro to
> choose, thatÂ’s one reason
> why im posting.

I've used SuSE and Debian reasonably extensively in
schools (Primary), mainly in a server role, but also
some desktop use - which is going very well.

SuSE got me into linux. I'm very fond of it. YaST is
excellent for the likes of me - just the ticket. These
days however, Debian is my distro of choice. I wanted
to delve a little deeper under the hood, and I like
the way Debian rewards a little effort. People rave
about apt-get and it's well deserved. On a broadband
connection, installing software is a breeze. Both SuSE
and Debain are well suited for the tasks you mention.
I've tried RedHat (7,8,9)/Fedora (C1,2) and I'm not so
keen. They seemed less intuitive, more buggy. Just my
opinion.

> I appreciate that your response didn't just include
> snidey comments, but I
> will not accept people speaking to me in this way.

Easy tiger. I know exactly what you're getting at,
but:

1. This is one of the most supportive, least ranting
lists I've ever subscribed to,

2. Thomas is a (sometimes overzealous) top bloke who
has helped *many* of us out on *many* occassions and
goes well out of his way to assist - although he likes
questions to be well defined. I speak from experience.
He gives more than he takes around here.

> Thank you for everyone else's replies.

Welcome. Hope it helps.

--
Matt Johnson