Open Source School MIS
  • From: Robert Jones <jonesieboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:58:42 +0000 (UTC)
Hi.

I'm the project admin for FreeMIS - the blurb says:

> FreeMIS - the free web-based MIS for schools - has made it's second public
> release, which greatly improves the functionality of the reporting module,
> and provides a full set of dummy data to play with. If you are looking for
> an open source alternative then download FreeMIS here
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/freemis/freemis_0.85.tar.gz?download
>
> and get involved.

FreeMIS development seems to be taking off, with lots of offers of help. As
there is clearly a gap in the market for a quality, comprehensive FLOSS
alternative to the commercial MIS's, I want to make sure that FreeMIS gets it
right.

So I'm looking for advice. I'm a humble maths/computing teacher who saw a
need at school for a decent web-based electronic reporting system, and made
it happen. Now I'm beginning to realise that there's a whole world of
issues that will need to be seen to be covered if FreeMIS is going to stand
up in the big bad, lucrative world of school MIS's, and I'm not quite sure
where to start.

Is there anyone out there who's got experience in the UK MIS field and would
be willing to help me with this? I'm thinking about compliance with
Government standards, security of data, exporting/importing to/from Edexcel/
ScotXed etc.

If we can get it right, we will be plugging one the the big remaining gaps in
the package for schools to move entirely to FLOSS.

Thanks,

-- Robert Jones

< Previous Next >