Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Preinstalled Windows: AARGH! I can't get it off!
  • From: "Mark Evans" <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 18:10:34 +0000 (UTC)

> If a PC shipped with Windows preinstalled, can you remove the OS and
> install Linux instead? Well, no, according to Microsoft. A somewhat
> obscure Microsoft site aimed at helping schools deal with donated
> computers flatly states: "It is a legal requirement that pre-installed
> operating systems remain with a machine for the life of the machine."

According to a later Register story they have removed this
requirment. Apparently what they really ment to say is
that people donating machines should donate any OEM software.
(Well except in sensible parts of the world, like Germany,
where courts have ruled that a PC is simply a bundle of
parts, with any OEM software being part of the bundle.)

--
Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE High School