Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Preinstalled Windows: AARGH! I can't get it off!
  • From: "Frank Shute" <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 00:00:56 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 07:24:46PM +0100, Matt wrote:

> > According to a later Register story they have
> > removed this
> > requirment. Apparently what they really ment to say
> > is
> > that people donating machines should donate any OEM
> > software.
> > (Well except in sensible parts of the world, like
> > Germany,
> > where courts have ruled that a PC is simply a bundle
> > of
> > parts, with any OEM software being part of the
> > bundle.)
>

> Yes, I can give away my computer, but remove and keep
> my sound card, should I wish. I just say "No sound
> card".
>
> Maybe I missed the point.

To my mind your soundcard is more an integral part of your computer
than the software. Do the soundcard manufacturers say on their sites
that if you donate your PC to a school it's illegal for you to give
them the PC without the soundcard? Thought not.

It's complete garbage and wouldn't be enforced by any court in the
land.

MS's EULA is also complete garbage and isn't worth the paper it's
written on. They should cut to the quick and just provide a disclaimer
that their software comes with no warranty whatsoever & is only
protected by copyright in law. My understanding is that copyrighted
material is for fair use and the person who sells it to you can't then
impose conditions on you that will prohibit it's fair use. In fact it
applies to anything you buy doesn't it?

Which is why I believe I'm not breaking the law by running one
licensed copy of NT on 2 different machines, laptop & workstation,
because to my mind it constitutes fair use the same way you can copy
an audio CD for personal use.

I must write to Microsoft and ask them to sue me, might be fun.

Goes without saying IANAL. I'd like to hear others opinions on the
`fair use' argument I've espoused here.

Don't schools copy some sections of printed educational material and
isn't that also considered fair use? Where do you draw the line? Why's
software considered so different from other data?

--

Frank

Boroughbridge.
Tel: 01423 323019
---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

What happened last night can happen again.

< Previous Next >