Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Preinstalled Windows: AARGH! I can't get it off!
  • From: Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 08:50:41 +0000 (UTC)
On Wednesday 08 May 2002 8:48 am, Ian Lynch wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 May 2002 01:30, Frank Shute wrote:
> > On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 12:05:14AM +0100, an Outlook Express user

[snip]

> They probably meant that the company donating the machine can't sell the
> machine on and keep the licence for say a newer one. Interesting to test
> that in court. OEM EULA probably state that its not legal to transfer the
> license but certainly in the USA there was a court case saying otherwise.
> As it is worded it seems to imply that the school must use the license but
> I think that is probably just careless drafting.

It must be nice to be you. Personally I'm a cynical old B*.

The number of lawyers that MS emply makes the UK CPS look like a hobby. They
never carelessly do anything.

The express aim of this statement is to tell schools that if they accept a
doner PC, they *must* get the license too and they *must* use that software
on the PC. They're clever enough not to actually write it but they will have
taken a great deal of care to make sure that is the impression given.

--
Gary Stainburn