Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] encyclopedias
  • From: Michael Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:14:17 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Edgehill e-mail service wrote:
> Sadly, we have not yet found a suitable replacement, but I gather that
> Britannica (a far better alternative, being Euro-centric, rather than
> USA-centric) is in HTML format with its own search engine on-board.
> My assistant-guru is currently trying to get it to install and run under
> Wine, but no joy so far. It may be that one of the Linux search engines
> (big choice for Apache) will be able to be modified to mimic the Britannica
> functions?

Britannica is available on-line for free, if you know where to look!

Try this search for "dolphin" as an example:
http://www.britannica.com/search?ct=eb&query=dolphin

You can easily configure Squid to block the occasional banner adverts that
appear.

Michael Brown
http://www.fensystems.co.uk/

< Previous Next >