Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] LDAP
  • From: Christopher Dawkins <cchd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 09:55:31 +0000 (UTC)

> Does anyone know a way in which I can centrally store usernames and
> passwords across several machines.

The NIS/YP systems works well across six of our servers (all Unix): one
has the password files and is NIS master, the others are slaves. I would
however be extremely interested (it has come up before on this group) in
methods of integrating an NT server into this, it seems likely that I
shall be forced to have one sometime this year. It seems to me there is no
way of making it a NIS slave, but the Unix systems can be configured as
slaves to the NT. But I would prefer to hear of front-end software that
will amend the password on both systems from one interface.

--
Christopher Dawkins, Felsted School, Dunmow, Essex CM6 3JG
01371-820527 or 07798 636725 cchd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx