Disabling the 'windows' key
  • From: Darren Garside <darren.garside1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:36:15 +0000 (UTC)
I'm doing the samba (ver. 2.0.5) at the moment and enjoying myself.
I've set samba up as my NT login controller and used policy editor to
disable access to windows unless properly logged in. I'm feeling good,
I think I have secured access to the workstations.
Within ten minutes of this new setup one of my more persistent Y6's have
circumvented the whole setup by hitting the windows key (or CTRl-ESC)
and running explorer from the task manager. Once the login window is
dragged out of the way the children have unfettered access to the local
harddrive.

1) How can I disable the windows key/CTRL-ESC shortcut?
2) Is there any way to limit access to the local harddrive even when
someone is legitimately logged on?

Running a Suse 6.4 server, on a 10-client win95 network, using samba for
shares.

Many thanks

Darren Garside
Freshford Primary School