Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Virtual users in sendmail?
  • From: Christopher Dawkins <cchd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:00:15 +0000 (UTC)

> Is there any way to setup sendmail to receive email for virtual users.
> I.e. i dont have to create them a full account on the linux machine. I
> want to have a list of usernames and passwords which it reads and then
> using a pop3 server (qpopper?) they can connect and read them.

Allocate to them a non-existent shell, so they can't log in. You can do
this while creating them, or afterwards with vipw or with whatever other
tools your system has. The shell "/nonexistent" or "/you-can't-log-in" is
fine.

--
Christopher Dawkins, Felsted School, Dunmow, Essex CM6 3JG
01371-820527 or 07798 636725 cchd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx