Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Squid problem
  • From: Nick Drage <nick-drage@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:36:51 +0000 (UTC)
Hi,

Neither a squid user or a SuSE user ( just yet ), but this question
intrigued me so I went for a quick surf....

> I am a real Linux newbie so please be gentle with me. We have just
> installed SuSe Linux on a spare file server that we have. I am hoping
> to use it as a Proxy server. I have Squid running and it is working up
> to a point. We use RM IFL for our Internet access. I have a public IP
> address on the Linux server and it can get on the Internet without a
> problem. The problem is that we have to connect through a proxy server
> at RM (isdncache.rmplc.co.uk:8080). I can't figure out where this
> setting is in the Squid configuration file. What is happening at the
> moment is that I am getting pages that are hosted with RM and nobody
> else. So Squid is doing something it just can't get to the outside
> world.

This might help: "4.9 How do I configure Squid forward all requests to
another proxy?", found at:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-4.html#ss4.9

AFAICT squid calls pointing one cache at another a "cache hierarchy",
whereas from my experience of the Netscape Proxy Server this is known as
"chaining".

As a Linux user, learn to love http://www.linuxdoc.org, the Linux
Documentation Project ( LDP ) is your friend. Took me about five
minutes to find this answer through that site only having a vague notion
of what I was searching for.

NOTE - local mirrors of the LDP are listed at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/mirrors.html#uk; I would hope the mirrors at
mirror.ac.uk or rmplc.co.uk was well connected to those of you using RM
connections.

--
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what
was
coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't
I?"
"Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that
uniform
you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space
helmet.
You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase
you to
get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was
all
true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside
the head
of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he
can
mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

< Previous Next >