OSE Conference
hi all

the Open Source for Education (OSE) website and conference have been set up
run by Becta as a tool for investigating the potential of Open Source and
Linux in schools in the UK.

Originally the proposal was to hold a largish conference in Birmingham in
July, but it was felt by senior management that this might be inappropriate
given Becta's independent role. Also concerns were expressed by leading
education IT companies (you can guess) that it was not within Becta's remit
to promote an Operating System over any other (sic).

These conceptions and misconceptions have led to a scaling down of the event
(to a research seminar) to be held at the Techno Centre, Coventry on July
25th. The main speakers will be Martin Williams, Powys LEA about there
rollout of Linux servers to all their schools and Damian Counsell from the
Institute of Cancer Research about the use of Open Source software within
the Genome project. There will also be representatives from leading IT
companies (incl Apple, RM, Redhat, Suse etc, we have invited Microsoft).
There will also be a debate on Open Source content development and there
will be delegates from Becta, DfEE, DTI and CCTA.

We have some places still available, and if you wish to come (esp if you are
in the Coventry area) can you please email Gino Bellavia, gino@xxxxxxxxxxxx

One subject of debate will be the future role of the web site www.ose.org.uk

hope that clears things up a little

Malcolm