Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] OSE Conference
  • From: Christopher Dawkins <cchd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:25:19 +0000 (UTC)

> If SuSE, or some other company, were to set up some sort of support
> service maybe we could actually do something. I gained all my knowledge
> of a stand-alone Linux system from tinkering at home. I really couldn't
> learn about Linux networking by tinkering with the school network!

The main problem is to ensure an adequate support service without
rocketing costs, as people actually able to solve all the problems are
very rare - and problems that need a site visit are bound to be expensive
anyway.

I reckon that one engineer could properly support a dozen Unix schools, so
each would need to pay about 4000 pounds a year. Schools would need their
own technician to sort out the simple problems, of course. About 80% of
the support could be done remotely.

The related problem is that all computer systems fail from time to time.
If your standard Win system fails you can blame it on Bill, go home, mow
the lawn, watch TV, and wait a few days till it's fixed by the school
suppliers. If you have argued for a Linux system and installed it yourself
in the teeth of opposition from others who say Win is better, then when it
fails it's up to you to desert your family and spend the weekend fixing
it.

Of course, it doesn't fail often, but when it does it's you that are in
the soup. It would be well worth it if the savings the school made on the
system appeared in your salary!

--
Christopher Dawkins, Felsted School, Dunmow, Essex CM6 3JG
01371-820527 or 07798 636725 cchd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx