Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Re: Fw:
  • From: "Frank Shute" <shute@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:52:46 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 02:50:04PM +0100, Simon Rainey wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> To clear up the speculation concerning RM and Linux:
>
> - The RM Internet business (IFL) has run Linux since day one, i.e. over 5
> years.

Since you want to clear up speculation, perhaps you could explain why
your company felt it was necessary to lean on Becta to stop them
`promoting' the use of OSS in schools.

> - All the core services run under Linux with the exception of RM EasyMail
> and virtual web servers where users wish to use FrontPage extensions, which
> for commercial reasons run under NT.
>
> SMTP: Sendmail and Exim
> POP3: Qpopper
< useful cracking info snipped >

> - Owl is the only server on the IFL network that is open to telnet. It is
> required by a small number of developers who have a virtual web server on
> the machine and need more than FTP access. They are too mobile for us to
> restrict access using lists based on client IP address. Regular checks are
> made to ensure that owl has not been compromised and firewalls are in place
> to prevent it from being used to attack other hosts in the event that it is.

I guess you haven't heard of ssh. Now where's that clue-stick.....
;-)

--

Frank

| Boroughbridge | Tel: 01423 323019 | PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3 |
http://www.esperance.demon.co.uk/