Re: [suse-linux-uk-schools] Printing with Samba
  • From: kevin.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 14:14:24 +0000 (UTC)

> I assume this allows you to place spool data
> into a directory. My question is how do
> you print this data once it is there?

Normally, the usual linux 'lpr' subsystem takes over,
once it is in the spool (this is configured using the
'printer capabilities database' - /etc/printcap - I think)

I think lpq lists the printer queue - there is also
a general 'control' command that lets you
obtain the status of printers, etc - but I
can't remember what it is (it is probably
listed on the man page for lpr and lpq).

There are generally 2 ways of printing via samba :
1. Drivers are on the Linux box, and clients
just print using basic drivers and let Linux do the
formatting (eg ghostscript, etc for ps jobs, etc)
2. Linux box treats printer as a 'raw device' - ie
it has effectively no driver for the printer. In this
case, the normal windows drivers are installed
on the clients, and Linux just passes on the
received data direct to the printer.

In the latter case, Linux could not print to the
device (without an additional local printer
configuration being setup).

Kevin.

  • No further messages