Re: [opensuse-doc] 13.1 translations
  • From: Marguerite Su <i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 18:22:30 +0800
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Tomáš Bažant <tbazant@xxxxxxx> wrote:
* but if you need an external translation service (such as transifex),
we have to exchange the content in some format supported by both
services (drupal and transifex). What is the reason you convert XML to
*.pot files? Is XHTML not sufficient?

Ha, here's the reason I chose to use transifex before:

Reason 0: svn needs permission...and I can't ask for 20 or more
accounts on svn.o.o, which is really dangerous to us and those
accounts can't be managed by me. The curious newbies will screw
everything around. I need some kinda control to maintain the good
feeling of Chinese community in our international "Home", meanwhile I
need a way that everybody can join me.

Reason 1:

Most Chinese do learn English in their school days. But they just
learn it to pass paper tests. They have a strong tradition to see
everything in Chinese. Transifex has a Chinese interface.

Reason2: po file is the format used by transifex and almost all the
projects...it's familiar to them. wiki or social style is just too
hard for someone. I have been advocating such styles for a long long
time to local community...but they just ask for the po files. The new
way sounds like opensuse-community.org/Main_Page and
opensuse-community.org/Main_Page/zh-hans, but I don't wanna end up in
a situation that I myself will be the only translator.

Reason3: If you translate it offline, xhtml can't avoid the syntax
tags...which can be mistranslated into Chinese, later it'll be a real
mess for me or other people who feel responsible to keep it compile.

And you can't diff them all the time just to watch what has been
changed. po file can.

The reason I don't perfer xhtml offline is just because there's no
WYSIWYG translation tool.

The reason why I said "translate offline compability" is because most
of my contributors are from collages. Maybe it's hard for you to
imagine, Chinese university/collage don't have free IPv4 Internet
access. And some of them even have to use Public computers.

So...offline is a must to me...if our community can't provide such
capability...I think we're actually just out-souring this work to
me...then I have to maintain another (the third for me) set of tools
on github...

Greetings

Marguerite