Re: [opensuse-doc] 13.1 translations
  • From: Marguerite Su <i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 06:52:12 +0800
Hi, Tomáš,

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM, Tomáš Bažant <tbazant@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!

As openSUSE 13.1 documentation is going to be placed on
activedoc.opensuse.org (and I am in chanrge of its management), we need
to solve the problem with translated versions. Therefore, I would like
translators to tell me more about input document formats they need to do
the translations, maybe even the way they do it. On the contrary, I can
specify in detail how Drupal (the engine behind ActiveDoc) handles
translations. Maybe we can find a solution which is satisfactory for
both sides.

Here's the way I do Chinese translation for now:

1. svn co the 50-pot/50-tools/en/zh_CN

2. update/extract 50-pot/*.pot from en/xml

3. fill into zh_CN/po

4. make another set of scripts to upload it to transifex.net (We have
a team about 20 people there, now we have finished opensuse-startup
and about 50% opensuse-reference guide, they're in a second stage on
transifex: reviewed solely by me, so it's slow that I didn't package
for 13.1)

5. wait for them to translate, also translate them myself on transifex

6. fetch the translated po

7. convert to zh_CN/xml with 50-tool tools

8. use daps to generate pdf/epub.

9. upload it to anonymous ftp at ftp://forum.suse.org.cn

10. Users download and learn

So for me, the input document format will be po file or xml file.

PS: will translated versions on activedoc.o.o too?

I just can't figure out how it works right now...I guess it's some
kinda social editing, right?

But what if translated version got a modification that different from
the English one ?

Or it's just a new web interface for English document editors, so we
can attract more new editors? (but for a short time, we will still
give translators a place to get _static_ files for translation instead
of dynamically translating on the same web, right?)

Greetings

Marguerite