[opensuse-doc] Translation of the Offcial Novell Documentation
  • From: Nikolay Derkach <nderkach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:06:05 +0300
Hello,

Russian openSUSE community would like to translate Novell documentation stored
at http://www.novell.com/documentation/opensuse102. Here is the project site:
http://svn.team.org.ru:8000/trac

We've already done a KDE Quick Start translation (as test), but experienced
some problems with building pdf.

First, I installed susedoc package and other stuff listed in
http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfcontent/private.php/novdoc/susemakedoc.pdf
from factory.
I tried to build documentation using fop:
http://svn.team.org.ru:8000/trac/browser/test/opensuse-kdequick-alpha1.pdf
and xep:
http://svn.team.org.ru:8000/trac/browser/test/opensuse-kdequick-alpha1-xep.pdf

Building using xep went almost smoothly but xep is unacceptable due to license
issues. Fop couldn't find necessary fonts:

[ERROR] unknown font ZapfDingbats,italic,normal so defaulted font to any
[ERROR] unknown font sansserif,normal,bold so defaulted font to any

Complete log: http://svn.team.org.ru:8000/trac/browser/test/build.log (some
other annoying errors there).

Finally, I want to ask about legality of such stuff. Doesn't it violate in any
way licences if we leave all the copyrights and trademarks in our
translations?

Thanks for any feedback.

--
Regards, Nikolay Derkach