Re: [opensuse-doc] How about including some books with openSUSE ?
  • From: Frank Sundermeyer <fs@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:36:35 +0100
On Thursday 25 January 2007 08:28, Thomas Schraitle wrote:

Hi,

> > On Wednesday 24 January 2007 13:43, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> > > hi Susers !
> > >
> > > There are some great free books lying around, included with some
> > > OSS distributions: Those are technical books, such as "Rute"
> > > Linux tutorial, and philosophical books such as "The cathedral
> > > and the bazaar". I think it would be smart to include those two
> > > as RPMs in main repository. (or on the media itself)
> > > What do you think?
> > >
> > > -Alexey Eremenko.
> >

> Yes, that's a good idea.
>
> You can find already three packages (OpenOffice Essential, Producing
> OSS, RELAX NG) in my repository:
>
> http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/thomas-schraitle/openSUSE
>_10.2/repodata/repoview/Documentation.Other.group.html

we already have a package included on the openSUSE distribution
called "books":

----------------------------
Several Linux Books

This package contains some books, which are installed
under /usr/share/doc/Books.

The books are:

* "Linux Installation and getting started" by Matt Welsh
* "Linux Programmers Guide" by Sven Goldt and Sven van der Meer
* "Linux Network Administrators Guide, Second Edition" by Olaf Kirch and
Terry Dawson
* "Linux System Administrators Guide" by Lars Wirzenius
* "Linux Users Guide" by Larry Greenfield
* "Linux Kernel 2.4 Internals" by Tigran Aivazian
* "The Linux Kernel Module Programming Guide" by Ori Pomerantz
----------------------------

toms, this package is maintained by Rudi. You should probably talk to
him and ask him whether he is willing to include the books you have
just packaged.

Apart from that, there are a few websites dedicated to listing free
documentation available for Linux - maybe it is sufficient to link
there from the LfL project page:

FreeTechBooks.com
http://www.freetechbooks.com/forum-7.html

LinuxHQ
http://www.linuxhq.com/guides/index.html

O'Reilly
http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/

--
Regards
Frank

Frank Sundermeyer, SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755; http://www.novell.com/