Re: [opensuse-doc] Please make Lessons for Lizards Easier format (not XML)
  • From: Thomas Schraitle <thomas.schraitle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 18:33:54 +0100
Hi,

On Monday 01 January 2007 17:40, jdd wrote:
> Thomas Schraitle wrote:
> > 3. With DocBook you just have to care with your *text*, layout is a
> > second priority.
>
> let me enphasis on this. this is not docbook related.

Yes, if you look at the complete picture. However, I meant it in
comparision to (X)HTML. :)

> [...]
> the main value of docbook is the number of backend allowing
> translation to virtually anything available...

In my humble opinion this is an advantage that is highly underestimated!
(X)HTML is good, but it's /not/ the solution to everything, nor Wikis.
Nor is it DocBook. Use the right tool for the right task.

However, for documentation that has to be available in different formats,
the solution is in most cases DocBook. It's a defacto standard (there is
also DITA but that's a different story.) I don't know of anything better.
Both, DocBook and the DocBook stylesheets, form a tool set; they are
open, mature, well written and simple to customize. :)

In former times our documentation was written in LaTeX. It worked somehow
but the HTML output always suffered. With DocBook plus the DocBook
stylesheets we don't have these problems anymore.

Best wishes,
Tom