Re: [opensuse-doc] Please make Lessons for Lizards Easier format (not XML)
  • From: Rebecca Walter <rwalter@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 10:22:48 +0100
On Monday 01 January 2007 00:47, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> I would like to tell you that starting contributing to LfL is very
> difficult. Mainly because there are no user-friendly editors.
>
> I would like to request to move to easier format.
> Either HTML, or plain text will do. (Maybe OpenDocument)
> working with XML is EXTREMELY difficult.

Toms can fill us in on the editor situation. I think there is one some people
in-house use, but it may require a license. I really don't know. I only ever
use emacs. I know that they have experimented with different options, but
several of us stuck to vi and emacs.

The problem is that the formats you suggest don't result in the quality or
number of output types really needed for this project.

You can contribute plain text documents and have someone else convert it to
XML for you. It is quite possible. I don't know if we have an exact workflow
planned yet, but my guess is that you can check a text file into SVN and send
out a mail asking for conversion.

Also XML is very much like HTML in how the markup works. The tags are just a
bit different. It is a very common way of making books. It really isn't
that hard to learn and it makes it much easier than other formats for getting
a unified appearance and a usable finished document.

I'm sorry you find contributing so difficult.
Sincerely,
Rebecca