Re: [opensuse-doc] Recommended Resources
  • From: Rebecca Walter <rwalter@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:07:23 +0100

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_English> makes it clear (to me
> at least) that there is no universally accepted form of International
> English.
>
> Perhaps <http://onelook.com/> where the reader is given a choice of
> dictionaries would be more acceptable.
>
> Communicating effectively in English is difficult enough (for those of us
> who speak English as our native language) without Webster.
>
> "Lessons for Lizards" is about communicating... yes? :-)

To maintain some consistency in style, it is necessary to select one variant
from the numerous acceptable variants of English. We use American English
for our products and consider Webster's 15th Collegiate primarily
authoritative.

I will happily add the other resource you mentioned to the list, but I do
still consider M-W the closest to an authoritative online dictionary.

You may want to take a look at the style guide. It is intended to help
everyone communicate more effectively and still maintain a consistent result.

Sincerely,
Rebecca