Re: [opensuse-doc] Thread summary and announcement [was:The openSUSE distribution chages are way ahead of documentation?]
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 01:32:40 +0200
Hello,

(extremely shortening the quote to the IMHO most important part,
intentionally skipping lots of discussion about openness etc.)

Am Montag, 9. Oktober 2006 21:25 schrieb Frank Sundermeyer:
> Because of these reasons, it is not possible to create an open svn
> and accept contributions from outside. It is also not possible to
> completely separate the openSUSE documentation from all other Novell
> Linux documentation, because this would create a workload we will not
> be able to handle (it would be a merging nightmare).

May I propose a better solution than "wontfix"?

Call it "DocuWichtl-Factory" ;-) or use any other name you like, but
please honor the following proposals:
- generate XML with the openSUSE part of the Novell Linux documentation
daily (or even hourly - depending on how often you change something)
- create a public SVN containing these daily/hourly snapshots
- offer _read-only_ SVN access only to avoid the merging nightmare
(read-only is not very nice, but it's the best we can have under the
given conditions)
- patches can be sent by mail, bugzilla, whatever instead. Maybe even a
small tool for sending contributions ("svn diff | mail ...") can be
provided.

Advantages:
- ways more up to date than a monthly (?) rpm package
- external contributors can work on an up-to-date version instead of
fixing a already fixed text
- patches against the current version do more likely match against the
Novell-internal XML files than patches against outdated versions
- avoids the merging nightmare
- changes are easy to identify ("svn diff" and/or a opensuse-doc-commit
mailinglist)
- avoids "forking" the documentation [1]
- "the best we can (currently) have"

What do you think about my proposal?

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] although I don't think this will ever happen - even with "closed"
documentation development
--
Tut mir leid. Tu hast dich dafür entschieden, Computer zu benutzen. Aus
irgendeinem Grunde glaubst du, das sei risikofrei. Ich versichere dir,