Re: [opensuse-doc] The openSUSE distribution chages are way ahead of documentation?
  • From: Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 10:25:39 -0500
Christian Boltz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Samstag, 30. September 2006 10:53 schrieb Rajko M:
> [...]
>> Mediawiki software that is structured to support well Wikipedia type
>> of data that has not many similar articles that differs only in few
>> lines. Is the usage of structure:
>> opensuse.org/10.0/
>> opensuse.org/10.1/
>> opensuse.org/10.2/
>> appropriate,
>
> This structure makes it hard to place pages that are valid for
> multiple releases - you'll at least need lots of redirects
> ("/10.2/sometopic -> /10.1/sometopic")
>
> I'd vote for opensuse.org/sometopic/10.0 (and opensuse.org/sometopic
> for version-independend texts).
>
> If the changes are small, you can also do "inline versioning" by writing
> "in SUSE Linux 10.1, ...." or using the Template:VersionNote.
>
> Well, I'm afraid there is no perfect solution for multi-version
> documentation, but there are better and worser ones ;-)
>
>> or it is better to use name spaces?
>
> No, I don't think so - namespaces ("10.1:sometopic") have the same
> problem I already explained for /10.1/sometopic.
>
> If you want, you can additionally use categories ("Category:10.1")
> because this way allows articles to be valid for multiple versions -
> but keep in mind that you'll have to add another category
> ("Category:10.2") to all artices that are still valid in 10.2. (Yes,
> many things change, but even more things do not change - so this will
> cause lots of work ;-)
>

> Regards,
>
> Christian Boltz

Thanks for the comment Christian.

That was a day ago when I was asking this :-)
I was looking for some idea, and I wasn't really convinced that either
mentioned in that post was good.

There is no perfect solution if one looks to achieve multiple goals.
I would set primary goals to:
- easy to find for anyone, (including me :-) ) and
- easy for article writers.

If that are prim directives, than more work is granted, whatever
structure will be.
Someone has to go after article is written and do some proofreading,
formating, indexing etc. That is how that works in any branch of
publishing, we can't expect that the same rules doesn't apply to us.

Indexes (or Portals) are the easiest way to organize content. I prefer
word Index as it is the same data structure, with the same purpose like
the book index. Portals have the same purpose with added content, so
once we have Index we can design portal.
Why not to add articles to categories?
I can search and link in index few pages for the time that I need to add
category to one article. I tried to add categories before, and I did
indexing too. It is lesser work with additional benefit that Index(es)
can have more different layouts without touching underlaying software.

Categories are good for Wikipedia type and amount of data, but as you
mentioned it is too much work to do the same for software distribution.

--
Regards,
Rajko.